Published On:November 22, 2016, 11:42 am
Japan’s Fukushima and Miyagi territorial division received a tsunami advisory post a 6.9 magnitude earthquake struck off Honshu minutes before 6.00 a.m. early Tuesday (4.00 p.m. Monday ET).
The Japanese government insisted the population residing in the northeastern coastal areas to evacuate immediately for higher ground and not get back until warnings had been waved off.
Unfortunately, the Tuesday’s earthquake struck in the same areas as the annihilating 9.0 magnitude earthquake in the year 2011, which was one of the worst ever disasters to ever hit Japan. It has killed more than 20,000 people and triggered off and elicited a meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Tuesday’s earthquake struck approximately 37 kilometres (23 miles) east-southeast of Namie at a depth of 11.4 kilometres (7 miles). At least four aftershocks of the minimum 4.8 magnitude were recorded within one hour of the primary quake.
According to the Japanese Meteorological Agency, the tsunami warnings were promptly and immediately issued for waves of 1 to 3 meters i.e., 3 to 10 feet and the moment a few were spotted off the coast.
The obvious and the key concern was the already crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
A spokesperson for the Tokyo Electric Power Company Inc. (TEPCO) said that a cooling pump system was temporarily stopped post the quake shook, but later resumed. And, no alterations or abnormalities were reported.
Mr. Dale Dominey-Howes, who is a Disaster Risk Management Expert at University of Sydney, said in a statement, "Residents in the region are still struggling to recover from the 2011 event resulting in compound socio-psychological impacts on survivors."
He further added, "Aftershocks will continue in the region for days to weeks to come."
We will be happy to help you find what you need. Please write to us: