Heparin Sodium which is also known as unfractionated heparin (UFH) and low molecular weight heparin, heparin sodium is a blood thinner medication. Heparin sodium was discovered in 1916 and is on World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines.
Common side effects are pain at the site of injection, bleeding, low blood platelet, heparin induced thrombocytopenia.
Medical uses of Heparin Sodium
- Venous Thromboembolism treatment- It is suggested by the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP) for primary treatment of acute proximal PE or DVT, especially in cases of renal impairment
- Thromboprophylaxis in General Surgery- ACCP recommends low-dose heparin in patients undergoing general surgery including GI, abdominal, urologic, gynaecological, bariatric, vascular, reconstructive/plastic surgeries
- Thromboprophylaxis in Cardiac Surgery- ACCP suggests low dose heparin in cardiac surgery patients with complicated postoperative phase.
- Thromboprophylaxis in Neurosurgery- used in craniotomy, spinal surgery
- Thromboprophylaxis in Thoracic Surgery
- Thromboprophylaxis in Major Orthopaedic Surgery- hip fracture surgery, total hip-replacement surgery, total knee-replacement surgery
- Thromboprophylaxis in particular medical conditions – acute and critically ill patients, malignancies
- Thromboprophylaxis in Trauma- traumatic brain injury, spinal surgery for trauma, acute spinal cord injury
- Prevention and treatment of Thromboembolism during pregnancy and complications of pregnancy
- Prevention and treatment of Venous Thromboembolism in Paediatric Patients-
- To reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism during cardioversion of atrial fibrillation/flutter-
- Prevention of Thromboembolism related to Prosthetic mechanical Heart Valves
- Prevention and treatment Renal Vein Thrombosis in children and neonates
- Prevention and treatment of Arterial Thromboembolism
- To reduce the extent of ischemic injury in cases of acute arterial emboli or thrombosis;
- Treatment of acute and chronic coagulopathies like Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation-
- Prevention and treatment of Thrombosis Associated with Indwelling Venous or Arterial Devices
- Used along with antiplatelet medications like aspirin during and after coronary artery reperfusion for prevention of ST-Segment Elevation MI (STEMI)
- To prevent Acute Ischemic Complications of PCI