Cystic fibrosis is a progressive, inherited disease which alters the way human body makes sweat or mucus. It is known as the disease of the mucus and sweat glands, since it affects the cells which are accountable for sweat, mucus production and digestive juices. The disease causes constant infection of the lungs and restricts breathing ability over time.In patients suffering from cystic fibrosis, a certain gene which is defective causes a thick accumulation of mucus in the lungs, pancreas and other organs. Basically, an individual’s sweat and mucus becomes thick, sticky and salty. Rather than behaving as a lubricant, all of these secretions clog and plug up the ducts, tubes, and passageways, particularly in the pancreas and the lungs.In the lungs, the thick andsticky mucus congests the airways and blocks the bacteria resulting in infections, excessive lung damage and finally respiratoryfailure.In the pancreas, the mucus avoids the discharge of digestive enzymes which enable the body to break down food and soak up crucial nutrients.According to the extensive research done on cystic fibrosis therapeutics market, this disease is caused by a flawed gene and estimated 1,000 new cases of this disease are diagnosed each year.This disease affects pancreas, lungs, liver, sinuses, intestines and sex organs. The symptoms and severity for cystic fibrosis can differ. A few people experience some serious problems from birth.Others possess milder version of the disease which does not surface till the time they are teens or young adults. Owing to newborn screening programs, most of the patients diagnosed with cystic fibrosis presently are babies. Approximately more than 75 percent of children who have cystic fibrosis get a diagnosis by the age 2.This disease is diagnosed with the help of several tests such as blood, gene and sweat tests. There if no specific cure for cystic fibrosis, however the treatments have enhanced majorly in the recent times. Treatments might comprise of chest physical therapy, respiratory and nutritional therapies, medicines and exercises.
Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics:
Cystic fibrosis has no particular cure. Nevertheless, preventive measures have greatly enhanced in the recent years. The focus of cystic fibrosis treatment include:
- Giving the desired nutrition
- Avoiding and treating blockages in the intestines
- Loosening and eliminating thick and sticky mucus from the lungs
- Preventing lung infections
- Abundant hydration
Based on the condition and the severity of the disease, the patient might be treated in the hospital.
Every day, patients having cystic fibrosis undergo a combination of the below-mentioned therapies:
- Clearing of Airway–to help in loosening and alleviating the tick and sticky mucus build up in the lungs. A few of the methods of clearing the airway need assistance of a family member or a respiratory therapists. Most of the patients with cystic fibrosis wear an inflatable vest which vibrates the chest at a very high frequency in order to loosen and liquefy the mucus.
- Medicine inhalation–this is done to open up the clogged airways. These include fluid medicines which are converted into aerosol or mists and late inhaled with the help of a nebulizer. The medicines include antibiotics to combat the infection in the lungs and various therapeutics to assist in keeping the airway clear.
- Pancreatic enzyme supplement–these are capsule to enhance the overall absorption of crucial nutrients. These supplement medications are consumed with each meal and most of the midday snacks. Healthcare professional also suggest intake of multivitamins in such cases.
Disclaimer: The information given in this write-up is purely for educating the reader. It is not meant to be a substitute for any advice from a medical expert.